Wednesday 16 July 2014

Editing photo background with mobile textures



I received the pretty bouquet above last Friday. It is made by my talented colleague - she had both picked the flowers from the nature and bind them to a bouquet herself! 

I wanted to make a Still Life photo of this colourful bouquet - being at work, iPhone was the only camera I had. I placed the flowers on my working desk in front of a white board, close to a window on the left - so the light fell naturally from the left side on the flowers.

This is how I proceeded with the editing:

  • I adjusted the brightness, contrast, ambiance and warmth in the "tune image"-function in the Snapseed application (app).
  •  Then I blurred the background: I made the overall image blurred in Tadaa SLR-app. I then applied the blurred image on top of the non-blurred image in Image Blender-app, masking the bouquet so it stayed sharp.
  • The frames of the white board disturbed the otherwise balanced photo, so I wanted to remove them using the "retouch"-function in Handy Photo-app. I removed also the corner of a wooden chair from the lower left corner.
  • The Tadaa SLR-app removed the upper board line, but it also left a yellow area on the top right corner. So I used Image Blender, layering the left upper corner of the photo on top of the right one. Now I was satisfied with the overall image. The vague white board line in the lower right side didn't bother me - Actually I wanted to keep it, as a memory that the photo was taken on my the last day at the office.
  • Now I started adding mobile textures, to give the background a delicate, painterly effect. I received a set of beautiful textures that match size wise mobile phone cameras by 2 Lil' Owls, as a part of a phone photography-course iPhoneography with Bob Veil, which I have enrolled and look forward of immersing myself in this summer. 
  • I used both ImageBlender, PhotoFusion & Filterstorm-apps to add the texture layers with - Image Blender and Photo Fusion has 18 blending modes you can select from, Filterstorm has 16 blending modes.

You can see my editing process in the video below: 





The bouquet is in our kitchen, bringing the scent of summer inside. The flowers create a delightful colour spot, bringing the scent of summer inside! 

I took a picture of them and my "Butter Sun" on Sunday, as I was baking cinnamon rolls. To create a dreamy blur and some depth of field to the images, I took it to the Focal Lab-app, where I added a soft focus effect. I created the pretty polaroid frame to this photo with Polamatic app, that also enables you to add text with 36 different fonts.




Sun is shining again ... I hope to find some wildflowers, 
so I might learn to bind a summer bouquet myself!

Flowery Greetings from

Nina

sharing with 

10 comments:

  1. Niiiinaaaa! You are tempting me to NEED and iPhone! LOL??? Uh-oh.....
    Wildflowers are my favorite bouquets.
    Beautiful bouquet. Beautiful pictures.
    Hope you have a Very Restful Vacation between jobs.
    Blessings and hugs, m & jb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning image of such a beautifully arranged bouquet! You worked your magic on it that's for sure! How fun to have a video of your edits!! I'm in that class too and am enjoying it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! So pretty! And love that you shared your steps in such detail. And more apps I haven't heard of but that look really grand. I may have to go app shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful image of your lovely flowers ! I purchased the Polamatic app......love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous bouquet - and wow, you even took the time to create a video of your editing. That's wonderful, and thank you! I'm not sure if I have Polamatic - I will have to look into it. Thanks for sharing your lovely process, Nina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my....what a stunning bouquet and your resulting image! I can't believe you were able to get such a lovely photo at work. Well done!! Thanks so much for jumping in the Still Life Monthly Meme!
    http://cherylmccainphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your video! A video is worth a thousand words too. I'm glad you are retired now, so much time to play! I'm in that class too. So good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The background has change this picture into a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are so full of summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy them all and I'll do my best to to hop on over to your blog for a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
//