Saturday 19 January 2013

Salted almonds

 
Homemade salted almonds have a pleasant, mild taste, and they are easy to prepare!

I tasted homemade salted almonds at my friend's house, and as soon as I heard that she had prepared them by her self,  I wanted to try making them as well... I'm fond of almonds - I like to eat a few of them in the afternoons, or with a cup of tea before serving dinner. I've bought a few times salted & smoked almonds from the store, but the ones I bought were too salty, and the smoke-flavour was a bit strong.

Now that I know how to prepare the salted almonds at home, the next thing I experiment with, will be seasoning them ... How would they taste, if I added some paprika or turmeric, or even lemon and coriander?

Almonds contain vitamin E, manganese and magnesium. The good fat in almonds contains healthy cholesterol, but also quite a bit of calories. A little handful, about 15 almonds, makes a good snack in the afternoonkeeping your hunger at bay.
 
 
Salted almonds
 
2.5 dl (1 cup) of boiling water
3 tablespoons fine salt
200 g (7 oz) of almonds
 
- Dissolve the salt in boiling water.
- Pour the water into a bowl, and add 200 g (7 oz) of almonds.
- Allow the almonds to soak in the water for about 30 minutes.
- Spread the almonds on a baking tray lined with baking sheet, and bake for 30 min.  at 150 ° C / 300 F. degrees.
- Let the almonds cool down before serving them.
 
 


Salted almonds taste good with fruit - I prepared a snack of pears, crackers with olive tapenade and salted almonds - yum! Mixing the salted almonds together with raisins and cranberries would give a nice sweet-salty mixture.

Wishing you a delicious weekend,
 
Nina


I'm linking to

Serenity youLet's Get Social Sunday



Hearth and Soul Hop at Zesty South Indian Kitchen

12 comments:

  1. Hi Nina,
    Yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe. I have a bag of almonds sitting in the pantry. I'm going to have to try this out :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geetlee, that's an easy way to make an extra treat :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I will have to pick some up next grocery day and try this. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, They're make a nice snack - keeping also a long time - you can also to add them to spice up a salad :)

      Delete
  3. Nina, these look great! My doctor told me these are great for lowering your cholesterol...so I am happy to see this. Have a great Sunday.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, My cholesterol is just at the level to be a bit too hing - so I'm having almonds with a good conscience at the moment :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Nina, I am going to try this recipe. I love almonds but find that many I buy contain too much salt and plain ones are too bland. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linley, You can adjust the amount of salt by experiencing, how salty you like them :)

      Delete
  5. I love the photo of your snack...yum! Everything looks so good. I always eat mine raw since I'm trying to cut back on sodium, but what a great idea to control your own salt intake by making them yourself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, it's true that the daily amount of salt might be a bit high, if eating to handful of these salted ones (but every now and then they're a good, a bit more healthy, alternative to crisps or other salty snacks) ... I'm fond of crisps, but they're not so healthy!

      Delete
  6. Great idea. A lovely post and a lovely blog. I am your new follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, thanks for the "nutty" addition to the snack table. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy them all and I'll do my best to to hop on over to your blog for a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
//