Thursday 4 October 2012

Chocolate-muffins with marzipan & coconut



I heard my husband say "Are you going to bake?", as I was going about in the kitchen the other weekend. "Would you bake something with marzipan?" he asked.

Marzipan and almonds are common ingredients in Danish baking tradition. It took me a while to get to like the taste of marzipan - now I can't imagine a Strawberry Pie without almonds! Does this indicate a succesful cultural integration (Smiling ;-) ?!.

I have learned to use the real marzipan in home-made Christmas confectionery, but haven't used it otherwise in cakes or muffins. So as my husband asked if I would bake something with marzipan, I thought that it was about the time to give it a try! I found a recipe for these luscious muffins from Maminka.


Chocolate-muffins with marzipan & coconut

Ingredients (makes 12 muffins)

4,5 oz (135 g) sugar
5 oz (150 g) soft butter 
3 large eggs 
7 oz (200 g) coarsely grated marzipan 
1/4 cup milk
4,5 oz (125 g) flour 
1 teaspoon of baking powder 
1/2 cup dried shredded coconut 
5 oz (150 g) chopped dark chocolate

Instructions

1. Stir the soft butter and sugar together. Add the eggs.
2. Stir the coarsely grated marzipan into the batter.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder and coconut and add to the batter.
4. Add the milk and stir the dough gently.
5. Add the chopped chocolate.
6. Pour the batter into muffin cups and bake the muffins around 20 minutes at 400 F (200 C) degrees.




The flavors of chocolate, marzipan and coconut are combined to a delicate treat! Chocolate-muffins with marzipan & coconut are spongy, mushy & irresistible - You can serve them with a cup of tea, coffee or a glass of cold milk - Yummy!




10 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could use marzipan like that. I've always used it to make little characters on cakes or something. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Marzipan suits so well to those little chahacters on cakes - I was to a birthday, where Winnie the Pooh and Tiger were on the top of the cake - made of marzpian :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your muffins, the photos are making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, Muffins are my favorite as well - tasty & easy to make!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy do these look delicious!!!! Coconut is a favorite with me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle - Coconut makes miracles in cakes!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing at Rural Thursdays -- you have a lovely blog, Nina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking this in Nina. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, delicious! Very moist and fluffy. I used more coconut than in the recipe (didn't bother measuring) and the taste is still very subtle. I'll definitely make these again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for leaving a note and telling that the muffins succeeded and tasted good! I'll add also some extra coconut next time :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy them all and I'll do my best to to hop on over to your blog for a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
//