I heard my husband say "Are you going to bake?", as I was going about in the kitchen the other weekend. "Would you bake something with marzipan?" he asked.
Marzipan and almonds are common ingredients in Danish baking tradition. It took me a while to get to like the taste of marzipan - now I can't imagine a Strawberry Pie without almonds! Does this indicate a succesful cultural integration (Smiling ;-) ?!.
I have learned to use the real marzipan in home-made Christmas confectionery, but haven't used it otherwise in cakes or muffins. So as my husband asked if I would bake something with marzipan, I thought that it was about the time to give it a try! I found a recipe for these luscious muffins from Maminka.
Chocolate-muffins with marzipan & coconut
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins)
4,5 oz (135 g) sugar
5 oz (150 g) soft butter
3 large eggs
7 oz (200 g) coarsely grated marzipan
1/4 cup milk
4,5 oz (125 g) flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
5 oz (150 g) chopped dark chocolate
1. Stir the soft butter and sugar together. Add the eggs.
2. Stir the coarsely grated marzipan into the batter.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder and coconut and add to the batter.
4. Add the milk and stir the dough gently.
5. Add the chopped chocolate.
6. Pour the batter into muffin cups and bake the muffins around 20 minutes at 400 F (200 C) degrees.
The flavors of chocolate, marzipan and coconut are combined to a delicate treat! Chocolate-muffins with marzipan & coconut are spongy, mushy & irresistible - You can serve them with a cup of tea, coffee or a glass of cold milk - Yummy!