In the autumn I prefer the salads to be a bit more filling and juicy than in the summertime. This couscous salad with grilled vegetables has become one of our favorites this fall!
Grilled zucchini, eggplant and peppers give a luscious consistence while lemon, leeks and pomegranate adds sweet and sour flavors. Moreover, the cooked vegetables are easier to digest than the raw - so the salad is gentle to the stomach as well.
I have adapted this recipe from Claus Meyers book Salatværksted.
Ingredients (6 servings)
200 g whole grain couscous (couscous consists of pre-cooked durum wheat)
1.5 dl of water (0,8 cups)
a pinch of sea salt
Grilled / sauteed vegetables
2 bell peppers
olive, canola or some other oil for frying
pinch of salt
1 pomegranate (I replaced the sugar from the original recipe with a pomegranate sugar - you can also sweeten the salad with honey, acacia syrup, or even grapes)
1 clove of garlic
1 dl leeks, chopped (0,5 cups)
4 tomatoes or 8 cherry tomatoes, diced
Juice of 1 lemon (and zest - if you want to use the lemon zest, I recommend using organic lemons)
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of fresh herbs to taste (mint, coriander, parsley etc.)
- Put the couscous grains in a flat-bottomed bowl, boil water and pour it over the couscous grains. The grains should be covered with water. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or a plastic wrap and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Cut the eggplant and the zucchini lengthwise into slices. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on the slices and let it sit for 20-30 min.
- Wipe the liquid from the surface of the vegetables liquid with a kitchen towel.
- Cut the peppers cut into strips.
- Sauté / grill vegetables on a pan in hot oil.
- It is important that the eggplant cook is sauteed until well cooked, soft and smooth.
- When the vegetables are slightly cooled, cut them into cubes.
- Chop garlic into pieces.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- "Peel" the pomegranate - remove the seeds of a pomegranate.
- Finely chop the herbs.
- Grate a little lemon zest if you wish, and a squeeze the lemon juice
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, herbs, pomegranateseeds, lemon juice and zest together.
- Add the vegetables and stir the remaining ingredients together. Taste,add salt if necessary.
Couscous salad tastes delicious served both warm and cold & keeps for a few days in a refrigerator.