I really like "semi-sweet" cakes that have a rich but not too sweet taste. This banana-chocolate orange bread is just my kind of cake! It tastes of banana and orange, and has a mild dark chocolate flavor. The consistency is something in between cake and bread.
I have altered Heidi Swansons original recipe: I've replaced the lemon with orange, the all-purpose flour with spelt flour, and I made the glace icing with fresh orange juice and powdered sugar.
You can freeze the banana chocolate bread, as well as the carrot pineapple muffins. If you slice the cake in before freezing, it is easy to take a couple of slices with you - I took a few slices in our lunchpacks last weekend for a little treat after swimming - Tasty!
1 cup (125 g) spelt flour
1 cup (140 g) whole wheat flour
3/4 cup (125 g) dark muscovado or dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (115 g) coarsely chopped dark chocolate
1/3 cip (80 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
1½ cups (340 g) smashed, ripe bananas
1/4 cup (60 ml) plain, whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon freshly grated organic orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The Glace Icing:
1 tablespoon grated organic orange zest
2 tablespoons squeezed orange juice
about 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the chocolate pieces and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the olive oil, eggs, banana, yogurt, grated orange, and vanilla.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour and mixtureand fold carefully with a spoon.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking dish and bake about 50 minutes, or until golden brown, in 350 F degrees (180 C degrees).
- Leave the cake to cool for about ten minutes before you undo it.
While the cake is cooling, you can prepare the glace icing. Mix the powdered sugar and the grated orange zest together, add the squeezed orange juice and stir. Spread the frosting on the cake with a spoon. You may want to put the glace icing into a frosting extruder or into a small kitchen plastic bag and cut a small hole in the corner - in this way you can decorate the cake making stripes, polka dotts etc.
Wishing you a happy and tasty weekend!