We have an old box filled with faded black and white photographs from my husbands grandparents. Every now and then we look at the photos together with his sisters ... I enjoy hearing their childhood memories, as well as admiring the time's warm patina on the photos.
I wanted to create a vintage-like black and white photo effect using Photo Veil Collections from Love That Shot.
In order to let the light fall on the tulips alone, I chose a dark backdrop - actually a blanket of cashmere and alpaca - that would not reflect light. The texture of the blanket would create fine a contrast to texture of the tulip petals.
My focus was on the lowest tulip, so I used spot metering. The daylight light fell on the tulips from the window to the left, creating natural highlights and shadows.
- I converted the photo to black and white in Lightroom, using the B&W Contrast High-present. Therafter I increased slightly the highlights and shadows.
- I added the following 4 photo veils:
- Medium Spotlight Left from the Illumination Collection, blending mode soft light with 80 % opacity.
- Sunshine 3 - Top Center - Vertical from the Illumination Collection, blending mode soft light with 23 % opacity
- Sparkling Stargazer, from the Botanical Collection, blending mode soft light with 32 % opacity
- Frosted Dew from the Botanical Collection, blending mode color burn with 12 % opacity
Photo veils create subtle and seamless layers, enabling you to achieve the effect, that suits to your style of photography.
... Until next time,