Sunday 29 July 2012

Blueberries, strawberries & pies


The last day of summer holidays ...


... I baked a feta-spinach-pie in the morning and mixed a pizza dough as well - Our dear friends from Great Britain came over with their children in the afternoon! When they were living here in Denmark, we spent a lot of time together, but since they moved to England, we've cherished the moments when they're visiting Denmark, often in July- August.

... So, today we enjoyed the fruits of our "pizza-project" - the children got to decide the filling of their pizzas :-)  My friend made a hot and delicious oil to garnish our pizzas with - this oil just lifted the homemade tomato-mozzarella-pesto-pizzas to a top culinary experience! She just took a few gloves of garlic & a half red chili pepper and chopped them, stirred them together with a pinch of salt into one dl of olive oil - amazing!

... It was wonderful to talk & share - the children had also good time together - playing drums and games on X-box etc. Our boys got to talk English, and they managed it quite well ;-)
It wasn't hard to say goodbye, since we have the pleasure of meeting our friends again before they travel back home!

... Later my hubby suggested at trip to a nearby farm, "Jordbærgård", where you can buy the fruits and vegetables of the season. We got some rhubarb, blueberries, strawberries and black currants! He'll be making  some jam, and I think I'll bake a blueberry pie tomorrow.
There's just something about baking - I find it relaxing, so crumbling a dough of butter and crushed almonds after the first day at work is something I look forward to!

... I baked also a small cherry & nectarine pies to this afternoon, inspired by Veikeä Verso and La Tartine Gourmande. I used almond- and rice flour together with powdered milk, butter and sugar to the dough (the recipe will follow next week) - the pie tasted of summer!

... Now I'm feeling a little blue ... The alarm will go off early in the morning, and we're about to be back in the routines of everyday life. It's been wonderful to enjoy the easygoing and slow pace the last three weeks, with slowly mornings and late breakfast etc.!

... Well, our children have still two weeks to go before the school starts again, so some of us are still in the holidaymood ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy them all and I'll do my best to to hop on over to your blog for a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
//